|12 Months Ended|
Dec. 31, 2016
|Financial Services [Abstract]|
The Company, through its Brunswick Financial Services Corporation (BFS) subsidiary, owns a 49 percent interest in a joint venture, Brunswick Acceptance Company, LLC (BAC). Prior to March 1, 2016, CDF Ventures, LLC (CDFV), a subsidiary of GE Capital Corporation (GECC), owned the remaining 51 percent. On March 1, 2016, GECC completed the sale of its Commercial Distribution Finance business, including CDFV and its interest in the BAC joint venture, to Wells Fargo & Company. The transaction did not have a material effect on BAC.
In June 2016, the parties amended the joint venture agreement to adjust a financial covenant that was conformed to the maximum leverage ratio test contained in the Credit Facility; as of December 31, 2016, the Company was in compliance with the leverage ratio covenant under both the joint venture agreement and the Credit Facility as described in Note 16 – Debt. In July 2015, the parties extended the term of the BAC joint venture through December 31, 2019. The joint venture agreement contains provisions allowing for the renewal of the agreement or the purchase of the other party’s interest in the joint venture at the end of its term. Alternatively, either partner may terminate the agreement at the end of its term.
BAC is funded in part through a $1.0 billion secured borrowing facility from Wells Fargo Commercial Distribution Finance, LLC (WFCDF), which is in place through the term of the joint venture, and with equity contributions from both partners. BAC also sells a portion of its receivables to a securitization facility, the Wells Fargo Dealer Floorplan Master Note Trust, which is arranged by Wells Fargo. The sales of these receivables meet the requirements of a “true sale” and are therefore not retained on the financial statements of BAC. Neither the Company nor any of its subsidiaries guarantee the indebtedness of BAC. In addition, BAC is not responsible for any continuing servicing costs or obligations with respect to the securitized receivables. Through June 28, 2014, BFS and CDFV had an income sharing arrangement related to income generated from the receivables sold by BAC to the securitization facility. The Company recorded this income in Other income, net, in the Consolidated Statements of Operations. Beginning July 1, 2014, BAC began recognizing all income related to securitized receivables at the time of sale to conform with a change in the structure of the securitization facility. The income sharing arrangement remained in place through December 31, 2014 for assets securitized prior to July 1, 2014.
The Company considers BFS’s investment in BAC as an investment in a variable interest entity of which the Company is not the primary beneficiary. To be considered the primary beneficiary, the Company must have the power to direct the activities of BAC that most significantly impact BAC’s economic performance and the Company must have the obligation to absorb losses or the right to receive benefits from BAC that could be potentially significant to BAC. Based on the Company's qualitative analysis, BFS did not meet the definition of a primary beneficiary. As a result, the Company accounts for BFS’s investment in BAC under the equity method and records it as a component of Equity investments in its Consolidated Balance Sheets. The Company records BFS’s share of income or loss in BAC based on its ownership percentage in the joint venture in Equity earnings in its Consolidated Statements of Operations. BFS’s equity investment is adjusted monthly to maintain a 49 percent interest in accordance with the capital provisions of the joint venture agreement. The Company funds its investment in BAC through cash contributions and reinvested earnings. BFS’s total investment in BAC at December 31, 2016 and December 31, 2015 was $16.9 million and $14.0 million, respectively.
The Company’s maximum loss exposure relating to BAC is detailed as follows:
BFS recorded income related to the operations of BAC of $4.8 million, $4.6 million and $6.0 million for the years ended December 31, 2016, 2015 and 2014, respectively. This income includes amounts BFS earned under the aforementioned income sharing agreement.
No definition available.
Financial Services Disclosure [Text Block]
No definition available.